Patient Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
As a Patient, I have the RIGHT to:
- Full information about my rights and responsibilities as a CCK patient.
- Receive an explanation in a way I can understand of my diagnosis and medical condition, the benefits and risks to the treatment my doctor recommends, alternatives to such treatment, and an explanation of consequences if I choose not to undergo recommended treatment.
- An explanation of all rules, regulations and services provided by CCK, including the days and hours of service and how to reach a physician after regular office hours.
- Obtain a second opinion with another physician or practitioner at my request and expense.
- Make health care decisions based on information necessary to make treatment decisions which reflect my wishes.
- Participate in development of a plan of care including advance directives, and have my own copies.
- Refuse treatment or participation in any protocol or aspect of care including investigational studies, and freely withdraw my previously given consent for further treatment.
- Disclosure of any teaching programs, research or experimental programs in which the facility is participating.
- Full financial explanation and payment schedules prior to beginning treatment.
- Receive professional care that respects my values and beliefs, without discrimination, regardless of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sexual preference, handicap, sex or age.
- Be treated with courtesy, dignity and respect of my personal privacy by all employees of CCK.
- Receive my care in a safe environment, and to be free of physical/mental abuse and/or neglect by all employees of CCK.
- Complain or file a grievance with one of the CCK executive officers without fear of retaliation or discrimination, and to request a change of doctor for religious or other reasons.
- Confidential treatment of my condition, medical record and financial information.
- Receive a copy of my medical record in a reasonable amount of time.
- Assessment and management of my pain.
As a Patient, I have the RESPONSIBILITY to:
- disclose accurate and complete information related to physical condition, hospitalizations, medications, allergies, medical history and related items;
- participate and cooperate in my plan of care, advance directives and living will;
- assist in maintaining a safe, peaceful and efficient environment;
- provide new/changed information related to my health insurance to the business office and be prepared to meet my agreed co-pay during my office visit.
- contact CCK in advance when unable to keep a scheduled appointment;
- request more detailed explanations for any aspect of service I do not understand;
- inform my physicians and nurses of any changes in my condition or any new problems or concerns;
- respect the rights of other patients, staff and physicians;
- communicate any temporary or permanent change in my address or telephone number which might hinder contact by CCK staff;
- relate my levels of discomfort and/or pain and perceived changes in my pain management to my physician; and
- inform my physician or nurse when I am going to need a prescription refill before my supply is gone.